Moving to Holland is not easy, but it's worth the effort. This blog tells the story of shifting from American life in Pittsburgh to Expat life in the Netherlands,
and all of our European adventures that follow.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Say what now?

Here's a funny one to brighten your day. Just a brief recap of an experience I had in a store recently. I was on my way to a barbecue in the park, and I made a quick trip to the store to buy a cooler. At the same time, Suzanne went to the Albert Heijn (which is a Dutch Grocery store chain) to buy ice to put in the cooler. She calls me from the store to inform me they do not sell ice at the grocery store (which is another funny bit of info all together). So, while checking out with my cooler, I decide to ask the clerk if she knows of any other place where I can get ice. Here's how that conversation went:

Me: Hi. Do you happen to know any place where I can get ice to put in this cooler?
Her: Umm, yes, upstairs we sell these things that you put in the freezer and they will keep your food cold.
Me: Yes, I know what you mean, but I need ice to use now.
Her: You want ice? Yes, they are plastic cubes which you freeze, like ice.
Me: OK, well I need to use the cooler right away, so I cannot use that. I just spoke with my wife and she said that the Albert Heijn does not sell ice. Do you know any other stores which might sell ice?
Her: Check the Albert Heijn.

End scene.

-C

No comments: